Sunday, December 24, 2023

My story with HAPI (Philippines)

My story started with my passion to help people. I just left the first non religious society I founded in November 2013. I can't sleep, tossing on my bed and said to myself, I want to be happy. I concocted the word HAPI, thru research, and group solicitation. My first experience taught me well and therefore, it was easier for me to create another society. That was more than 10 years ago. Humanist Alliance Philippines International-HAPI has experienced peak and valleys through its life.

There were issues and people who want to steal HAPI. However, we're able to surmount all of that. I am always the target of scammers and dishonest people.

HAPI has numerous chapters and events galore. Everything you can find in our website: www.hapihumanist.org

HAPI has evolved into an international society from the get go, but more so in 2015 when we became an affiliate of many secular societies outside the Philippines where HAPI is based.

We are the only Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) registered non-theistic society in the Philippines with regular community outreach. We zero in on education, thus, I also created HAPI scholars who are now in charge of the website. All funds for the scholars come from my own pockets. Investing in people is a lot better than investing on material things. I used to have 14 scholars. Now I only have 11. They are brighter than I, being groomed as the next HAPI leaders.

Our vision is to create an inclusive society devoid of discrimination.  We value equally amongst all men. We propagate humanism through kindness and education.

By Marissa Torres Langseth, BS in Nursing (University of San Carlos, Philippines), Masters in Adult Health Nursing (Lehman College-CUNY), 
Founder and Emeritus Chairperson of HAPI (Humanist Alliance Philippines, International), and Founder and Founding Chairperson of Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society, the Creator of HAPI-SHADE (Secular Humanist Advocacy Development Education)



No comments:

Post a Comment